Photo credit: Free To Live Photography –
Pictured: The adorable Jessica and Ted Stuhlmiller a few weeks before baby Daniel was born.
Being pregnant could be described as a lot of different things. Many descriptions revolve around the many (usually unpleasant) side effects that someone can experience including nausea, mood swings, fatigue, etc. And yes, sometimes those things happen. But today, my good friend Mendy sent me a nice message on Facebook saying she was thinking about all the wonderful benefits of pregnancy. Mendy is the mother of two adorable children: Judah 2 years and Eden 9 weeks. She is a great mom and not only that, she is very passionate about mothers, babies and children in general. She is also someone who claims she LOVES being pregnant!
So thanks to Mendy’s inspiration, here are the top 10 reasons why being pregnant is AWESOME:
10. There’s so much to dream and pray about. Having a baby is the most important long term investment you can make! So naturally there are so many great things you can do to prepare and build your excitement. The Bible is full of amazing promises for families, women and children so that’s a great place to start finding hope for your little one’s amazing future.
9. You lower your chances of breast cancer and cervical cancer.
8. Longer, stronger hair and nails thanks to those fancy prenatal vitamins and increased nutrition!
7. You might need to buy a bigger bra for the first time since high school.
6. You take your body less seriously. Especially in our culture where there is so much emphasis on a woman’s body looking a certain “ideal” way. Women deal with pressure all the time to tone up and slim down. But when you’re pregnant, you learn to take your body less seriously. You learn to laugh a little bit more about all the strange and unsual things changing – because you can’t control them anyway!! (And some of the changes are actually kind of cool!)
5. You get to rest. Sometimes in life we get used to being so productive and busy that we forget it’s important to take time to slow down and rest. Being pregnant is a great motivation to actually take the time to listen to your body and give yourself some extra grace in how much you really need to get done in a day.
4. You get to eat WHATEVER YOU “FEEL” LIKE! Enough said.
3. Compliments! In fact, nine months of compliments! I don’t think anyone (maybe other than a bride) gets more compliments than a pregnant woman. “You look great!” “You’re glowing!” “You are the cutest pregnant lady!” “Gosh, your baby is going to be cute!” “You’re pregnant!?!? Congratulations!!!” Who doesn’t love receiving compliments where ever they go?
2. You become a friend-magnet. For some reason everyone (family, friends and even strangers) become very interested in what is going on inside your belly. Suddenly everyone wants to know how you’re feeling and what kinds of decisions you’ve been making recently. Being pregnant is an instant conversation starter!
1. At the end of the pregnancy you get to have your very own, one-of-a-kind BABY!!! Wow! And once you do, according to Mendy you get to enjoy acting like a kid again yourself as you spend time making funny faces, sound effects and running around with your little ones. And of course, like mothers everywhere say, you learn that you can love someone more than you ever thought possible. [happy sigh!]